<

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Lorna - The Power of Love

Lorna -







What motivates me most is the people I work with.  I would have left nursing long ago if I hadn't developed such strong bonds with my co-workers.  Problems crop up from time- to-time, but quality friendships keep me here--and the work itself, of course.

Nursing was a calling for me and my mission has been to provide patients with the best possible care, to make patients my top priority, and to try to save lives.  I've only ever felt unhappy in my career when I couldn't give my patients the care they deserved because I was too rushed.br/>
At one point I thought of leaving nursing altogether because work wasn't satisfying to me.  But I decided to take an interim step.  I went to the operating room, where I focus on one patient at a time, and I absolutely loved it.  One patient in one room, and that person had my complete attention.

These are tough times for the healthcare system.  Costs are skyrocketing and no one seems to know exactly why or what to do about it.  What I know is that the healthcare system is not working for the most vulnerable people.  For instance, there's a void in our system for elder care."I've always treated people the way I want to be treated." Old people come to the emergency room because they can't get a doctor any other way.  The same is true for children from low-income families whose parents may be working but still unable to afford health insurance.  Emergency rooms are jammed with people who actually need primary care, not emergency care, but it's all they have.  It's not their fault; it's the fault of a system where complicated rules seem designed to protect profits rather than to serve people.

The hospital where I work is a non-profit Catholic institution, and our mission is to provide care to those who need it.  We don't turn anyone away for lack of ability to pay.  I'm proud to be part of an institution that provides health care as a matter of ethics, not a matter of money.  And, I know that's the exception, not the rule.

I find out at conferences or from colleagues how my institution's standards of care compare to others.  My hospital is ahead of the curve!  It feels good to know we're on the right track, doing the right thing.

Nurses' voices need to be heard.  We need to have more representation at policy making levels, so the decision-makers can understand what's going on at the bedside.  The people at upper management levels seem to forget what it's like to walk in our shoes--those of us who live and breathe what it takes to care for the sick.  One thing that would help would be to have a forum, a platform where nurses could speak and be heard by those who make the rules and set the standards.

I've been encouraged by physicians, surgeons, anesthesiologists, and my nursing staff to keep going when I get frustrated.  They say things like, "You can't quit. We need you."  Having those people believe in me has made a huge difference.

Relationships between staff and physicians where I work are generally very good.  We depend on a basic camaraderie and respect.  I visited one hospital where surgeons would get mad and throw instruments against the wall.  That sort of behavior would never be tolerated at our institution.  Staff and physicians get together and collectively decide what to do and how to proceed.

Not everyone is comfortable speaking up when something is wrong.  Some people are so intimidated by the physicians that remain silent witnesses.  Some are afraid they won't be heard, or that they won't be respected if they disagree or criticize ad fear of retaliation is a deterrent as well.  

We work on helping nurses get the skills they need to be assertive rather than passive.  They learn ways of stating the problem so that the other person doesn't feel threatened, and everyone can come away feeling good about a solution.  We try to encourage a partnering relationship between physicians and nurses because it's in the best interest of patients if we work together.

One of the reasons nurses get burned out, or come to work just to get the paycheck is that they don't feel they have the authority or power they need to give the best care to patients and to make decisions about their work.  They give up trying, and just do the minimum. I take responsibility for my staff, and I treat them like they're my family, my loved ones. I care and I ask them how they are and about their work. I've always treated people the way I want to be treated.

Most of all, I believe in the power of touch.  Over the years I've worked with patients who were terrified and crying and,--out of control.   My touch gave them comfort, and reassured them that they're going to be OK.  It could be a gentle tap on the shoulder, or holding their hand and gently squeezing it.  That is so powerful.  

A nurse needs to be a physical person, one who's not afraid to touch someone.  Physical contact is so powerful.  And a nurse can't be afraid of that.

Power Strategies: Belonging, Compassion, Connection
go back to main page

1 Comments:

At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, my name is Suzanne. I recently graduated as an LPN and am working both in a hospital and nursing home. On most days, I really enjoy the work, and learning something new almost every day. The only problem I have is that I get depressed sometimes thinking that I might make a mistake and hurt someone, or that I'm not moving fast enough on the paperwork, or not remembering to do the paperwork right. I love tending to my patients, hugging those who need hugs, giving them the care that they need, trying to keep their souls nourished as well as their bodies. Nobody ever said this career was easy, but then again who wants easy? Easy is boring.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home