<

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Paul - Putting Patients at Ease

Paul -







My dad inspired me to become a nurse. He was a nurse anesthetist in the Navy. He was very good at his job and received many awards for his achievements. He sounded so knowledgeable when he talked about what he did. It made me want to do the same thing. What I admired most was his dedication and attention to detail. He took the time to really know his patients and cater to all their needs. If he was working with young children, he would put bubblegum smell inside their mask. He took special care to make his patients feel at ease.

My father was a nurturer, so naturally he passed that on to me. I have three girls and I’m affectionate and nurturing with all of them. I want to model the way they should be with their children. I learned by Dad’s examples. I always go the extra mile for my family and my patients. If patients have questions, I take the time to explain things to them, even if the surgeon and everyone on the other side are saying, “Come on Paul, let’s go.” It’s important for the patients to feel comfortable.

Like Dad, I was a Navy nurse for seven years. After I got out of the Navy, I quit nursing for a year-and-a-half and worked as a pharmaceutical representative. I didn’t like the business aspect of that job and I missed the patients. So I returned to med/surg nursing and then transferred to surgery and have been there ever since.

When I wasn’t nursing, I missed the patients’ appreciation for the assistance I gave them. My reward is doing something that helps them get better. Family members are appreciative and I receive many thank you letters.“Nursing isn’t all medications and dressing changes; it’s also getting to know the patient and I find people fascinating.” I enjoy talking with the patients. I like the med/surg floor because many of those people are older and they have incredible stories to tell. I met guys who are World War II veterans and they told the most interesting tales. Nursing isn’t all medications and dressing changes; it’s also getting to know the patient and I find people fascinating. The more they tell me about themselves, the more familiar they feel with me. That closeness is good for the well-being of the patient and it makes me feel good too. It makes me want to come back the next day and learn more about the person.

Nursing has evolved over the 20 years I’ve been in the profession. Nurses are recognized as professionals now. We have learned to balance both of our roles; the nurturing role and the patient advocacy role. To advocate for my patient, I need to be able to communicate on a professional level with the surgeon and the anesthesiologist and anyone else involved.

For a long time I found it difficult to assert myself to advocate for my patients. Because I come from a military background, I was used to a rank structure. My mother was also a powerful figure in my life because my father was often away on ships. If a female had power over me, it was hard to express myself and be assertive with her. It has taken some time, but I challenge myself to practice speaking up and I’ve become much better at it. The current female department head I work for is easy to talk with, so that has helped raise my confidence. I’m finding it easier to assert myself with surgeons and other health care workers as well.

My future vision includes getting my master’s degree. I’m leaning toward business administration because I would like to be in management. I’ve been in patient care for almost 20 years and I’m ready to take my career to the next level, but slowly. Right now I’m a charge nurse but I see myself being a Chief of Nursing. No matter what my title, my commitment will always be to do all I can for the patients. That way my career will continue to be rewarding and give me a feeling of accomplishment.

Power Strategies: Nurture, Communication, Intimacy
go back to main page

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home