<

Friday, December 01, 2006

Nurse's Story: Susanne - Build Leadership in the Nursing Profession

Susanne -







My husband and I recently traveled to India. Four days into the trip, my husband was attacked by a bull. He sustained injuries and became a patient in an intensive care unit, one hundred kilometers away from the accident. Although my focus was totally on him, I couldn’t help but be impressed with the skills and competencies of the nurses. For what India appeared to lack in technology, they made up for in care and service. The nursing competencies and their attention to the patient and family were remarkable.

It was a memorable experience and an incredible witness to their passion for their profession and holistic approach to care. The nurses valued family as an integral part and success to healing the patient. Embedded into their practice were the body, mind and spirit. The spiritual component transcended all beliefs.

In considering foreign nurses and their entry and practice to the U.S., I think of our care experience in India.“ feel drawn to making it different for nurses, by helping them to contribute more..” I believe the opportunity to exchange knowledge between the cultures is significant and beneficial. While I know and understand this, I would also be sad to bring them here, as I would not want to deny their own country the richness of their expertise.

These memories serve as reminders for why I went into nursing. I see my role as a vehicle to serve others, the patients, families, staff and physicians. As a healthcare leader and learner this is my mission and vision.

In the western world, I believe we have lost some of the momentum in nursing. The need for good role models, mentors, and coaches helps us nurture our profession, particularly new nurses, as well as our tenured nurses. Nurses deserve to be inspired, motivated, respected and honored. As a nursing leader, my desire is to build upon nursing professionalism to move it forward and prepare nurses for future leadership positions.

Nurses are great resources and we have the tools and knowledge to affect successful change and practice. I’ve realized first hand and through being there for others to support them, nurses’ knowledge is not always well-received or honored. I learned leaders need to listen. Nurses are problem-solvers and innovators, all in care and service to their patients and families. They need to be valued and recognized.

As a result I have developed a passion for leadership. There is a difference between being a manager and being a leader. Managers have the ability to operationalize day-to-day activities and leaders provide the bigger picture and vision. I feel drawn to making it different for nurses, by helping them to contribute more. I participated in leadership training, read leadership books, looked into research-evidence practices for leaders and continued moving forward in my education, which now finds me seeking a Ph.D.

Because of earlier experiences, I became determined to engage my staff collaboratively with my holistic and open-door approach. But, I realized people don’t automatically embrace change. Trust is a factor and must be acquired through building safe and real relationships.

I want people I work with to become accustomed to engaging in decision-making and to be willing to try something different. I had to recognize we need time to prove this method can be successful. Afterall, I’ve seen a lot of leaders come and go myself and they may not see the value in following my lead until I’ve proven myself.

After a year and many mistakes I began to earn their trust. Early on I mistakenly assumed everyone wanted to take part in decision-making. I think this is true, but they said their experiences of being excluded shut them down. Leadership is about coming alongside to learn, teach, collaborate and coach others into their work and ultimate satisfaction. Integrity and being present are important parts in developing relationships so that people feel they can contribute and make a difference.

After 30 years of nursing and learning, I have no regrets about my career choices. I am never bored and I always feel motivated. My career has led me to where I am today - continually learning, growing and stretching in all directions. I love what I do and at the end of the day I measure my impact. When my efforts make a difference, I feel extremely satisfied.

Power Strategies: Leadership, Inspiration, Relationshipsgo back to main page

1 Comments:

At 10:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am inspired by your story. I appreciate you being able to admit to making mistakes, understanding the depth of staff and having a vision fro yourself to grow and lead.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home