<

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Marta - A Basic Human Right

Marta -







My first degree was not in nursing at all; it was a liberal arts degree. We studied many subjects at Hampshire College, humanities and arts, social science, communications and cognitive science, and natural science. By the time I’d graduated I had focused in on photography and sociology, a humanities and arts and social science mix, and I used that education to go into photojournalism. Originally, I became a photojournalist because I wanted to do something that I felt was socially responsible. My assignments took me to Africa a couple of times, and while there I witnessed humanitarian work and non-governmental organizations in action. I especially gained a lot of appreciation for the health care areas of this kind of work.

As I got more into my job as a photojournalist, I began to feel like I wasn’t making as direct an impact as I really wanted to. And when I came face-to-face with health care workers in developing countries, working in crisis situations, it made me realize that what they were doing was very direct, patient-centered, and human-rights oriented. The idea of it appealed to me, and I began to consider nursing as a career option. It was a journey I was destined to take.

Back home, I found out from a friend about master’s entry programs into nursing, and felt like that type of nursing program would be perfect for me. I applied to three, and was accepted by the college of my choice. Currently, I’m in the middle of my master’s program. It can be very challenging at times, especially since unlike many nurses who get their master’s degree, I don’t have experience out in the field yet. I’m just at the beginning of my career, and everything is very new.

I have discovered nursing is very scientific and very much about critical thinking. For me, it’s about accumulating a lot of tools for a toolbox and then using the tools appropriately. The most difficult part of my learning curve is not only accumulating this toolbox, but also realizing I have to know which tool to use when.

When I finish nursing school, I anticipate staying in the area for a few years to get some experience. But I know my long-standing interest in human rights will take me right into international health and work abroad. For me to use my skills, especially in Africa, would be ideal. I have a lot of personal ties to Africa from my previous visits, and it feels like the right thing to do. Becoming a nurse and developing that part of my career has been richly rewarding because it feels like a calling.

The feeling comes from deep within me. It’s the most natural thing, and it is really satisfying to finally be on this path. I’m so excited to get out there and start working with people in a nursing role.“When I think about nursing in Africa, I think of helping to provide a basic human right.” Initially, and still, when I first became attracted to nursing, I was thinking of it in an international service context. It was powerful for me to recognize that I may be able to help somebody achieve better health, and that would, in turn, enable them to affect development by being an involved mother or an active community member. When I think about nursing in Africa, I think of helping to provide a basic human right.

I am just astounded by how difficult this career is. I mean, not that I thought it would be easy, but coming into it – it’s incredible. The more I get into it, the more respect I have for nurses. Sometimes it’s admittedly a bit intimidating to talk to a nurse who has come from a more traditional route in their education. Unlike me, they have gone through a longer, more step-wise approach to learning their job. It’s easy to think someone like that, who has that type of education and years of experience, would not appreciate the way that I’ve become a nurse. But the truth is, we can all learn from each other. Discovering the personal story behind each nurse’s background, and what she went through in her educational journey, is valuable information. Just knowing their stories makes me feel more comfortable. In turn, more experienced nurses need to understand that the field is growing and changing, and people are coming into it through different channels. Today, there are lots of ways to enter the nursing field.

I’m excited to have a life-long career in nursing. It is a wonderful profession. You gain a lot of really powerful knowledge. Knowing about health is applicable anywhere and to anybody. You can travel internationally, or take advantage of opportunities in your own backyard. For me, the minute I entered my nursing program I had this feeling of, “Oh, this is what I should be doing.”

Power Strategies: Service, Vision, Commitment
go back to main page

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home