<

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Jan - The Blessing is the Privilege to Serve

Jan -







Burned out." "Depleted." That would describe me and most nurses from time-to-time. Some days after I'd given everything I had, I went home empty. Those days come and go, but there's another kind of burn-out, that has to do with boundaries. As a supervisor, or working in the education department, I would take work home in the evening and on the weekend. At one point I realized that even though I took the work home, I didn't do it. It just sat there.

That's a boundary issue. I thought I was the Lone Ranger, and if I didn't do it, it wouldn't get done. But I finally got it - the work will still be there. There's always something and I had to start thinking of myself and my health. I do the best I can given the time limits I have, then I go home and exercise, unwind, and do something for me.

I tell new nurses, "Figure out how to set limits for yourself. Recognize that the work will never be done and find a support network so you can hand off some of the responsibility." When I remember to remind myself, I'm fine. I can stop being the perfectionist and just do what I can.

Taking breaks is a life-saver for me. When I feel like my little basket is empty, and I'm physically and mentally exhausted, I need to get away.  Otherwise that emptiness can turn into depression.  I need a sizable chunk of time for my getaways, like two weeks. One day doesn't do it. For me, it takes five days to begin to unwind.

Change is a constant in this profession.  The new technology is great--all the advances with monitors and gadgets--but that makes it easier to ignore the patient, the human being. The machines can get in the way.

On the other hand, we have more opportunity to talk to the patients. We explain their plan of care. We tell them what will happen when they get home, how family members will be involved. In the past, we couldn't even tell them about their blood pressure. We'd say "You'll have to ask your doctor about that." Now patients have the right to know.

We also serve by being good listeners. I listen for the message beneath the surface and by watching body language.  A patient may be saying "I'm scared. I think I want to die, and I don't want to be alone."  I can sense that by his facial expression, or his gestures, or the way he looks out the window.

None of this came to me right away."There are moments beyond words, like just reaching out and touching someone's hand and seeing them smile. That's inspiration." It took years of experience, and classes, and the maturing process before I understood how to empathize with a patient. The time when I was a patient myself taught me more than anything. A few years ago I had an accident and crushed my elbow. As a nurse working with patients, I'd think "There now, we've put a cast on that fracture, and it'll be all better." But when it happened to me--that was an eye opener. I didn't really understand the pain, the fear, the change in life style--until I had that experience myself.

Serving people is my inspiration. The art of caring is the heart of nursing to me. Some days I may think to myself that I didn't accomplish anything. But when I tell another nurse "You did a great job with that" and see her face light up: that's my inspiration. And there are moments beyond words, like just reaching out and touching someone's hand, and seeing them smile. That's inspiration.

Power Strategies: Dignity, Resilience, Empathy
go back to main page

1 Comments:

At 8:51 AM, Blogger Terry Taylor, MA MCC said...

HI Jan, Your story is close to home for me and many colleges. The references to burnout, never being finished with the work, and boundaries were especially relevant . Excellent job in identifying ways to take care of yourself by spending time away to replenish your spirit as well as structuring time each day for yourself. These are important messages to nurses who want to give and give until they have no more to give. Taking care of ourselves so we can continue to care for others is a great message - Pat

 

Post a Comment

<< Home