<

Monday, September 18, 2006

Terry - Make a Difference...with Dignity, Kindness, Respect, and All of My Heart and Soul

Terry -







Recently a manager position opened at the hospital and many people assumed I would apply for it because I’m branching out within the organization. I’ve been charge nursing and have joined some committees that are more management focused. There is a part of me that likes all that, but I’m not really interested in management because I would have to leave my true calling; patient care.

I don’t want to be in an office answering emails and acting as a go-between for administration and nurses. I really admire people who do it, but in 26 years my reasons for choosing nursing haven’t changed. Working with patients is extremely satisfying. The patients inspire me to be the nurse I am. They are really the only reason I’m here.

I feel I’m successful when I make a"The patients inspire me to be the nurse I am. They are really the only reason I'm here." difference each day in some small way and do it with dignity, kindness, respect, and all of my heart and soul. My priority is the person I’m caring for and I make sure they get quality and safe care, with a smile. Anybody can put in an IV, but a successful nurse makes the patient feel cared for while they’re doing it.

I’ve worked with cynical, burned out nurses. It’s unfortunate they have become that way. I think it happens because of politics and personalities – things can get very interesting, especially when you have groups of women working together. So many of them are trying to find power, but there is a vast difference between true power and ego power. Ego power is destructive. True power blossoms and grows everybody around you.

I try to conquer the ego powers with acceptance and kindness. I’ve been called a Pollyanna, and I’ve decided I can live with that. It’s challenging to take a positive attitude when I encounter people who want to hurt me, but it’s also helped me grow personally. I think my response has earned me respect. They leave me alone because they can’t drag me down.

I wasn’t able to respond with kindness when I was young and new to nursing. I was more vulnerable and, you know, nurses really do eat their young. I would like to see that change. It’s better than it was, but it seems to be fear based. Experienced nurses think someone fresh out of school won’t give the patients quality care and truly new nurses need to earn their trust. But, I have a different way to help them feel confident.

I like to take new nurses under my wing; embrace them and let them know they can look to me for guidance. I say, “I’m here for you. You come to me and I will help you. Ask me any question you can think of.”

I remember how it was when I started nursing, so I want to help new nurses experience a positive beginning. I was scared when I started my first job, but I didn’t let it show. I acted competent, and that got me through. I think all new nurses are in the same boat. It takes time to work through the orientation phase and trust yourself to really know what you’re doing. You’re faced with something new all the time. New nurses worry what people might think less of them if they say “I don’t know how to do this.” To this day, I’m not afraid to ask questions of anyone or say “I need your help” or “I don’t know how to do that.” Nobody ever knows everything, all of us are continually learning.

I personally found it difficult to show up for my patients when I was facing a personal crisis. It was so overwhelming I could hardly see myself, but I still stood by the patient and said, “Hi, my name’s Terry and I’m going to be your nurse today.” Inside, I was thinking, “I’m about ready to die, but you go ahead, tell me everything.” I got through that personal challenge and now can better empathize with my co-workers because I know first hand what a challenge it is for nurses, and all care providers, to contain their personal lives and reactions and put their focus on the patient.

Nursing lights my heart when I hear thanks from patients. Occasionally a doctor will tell me I do a good job, and that can make my day, too, it’s just a small expression of appreciation, but it affirms my work. Because I know how well I respond, I try to pass those feelings on. I honor the people who pick up the trash and the laundry. I also honor our CNAs and secretaries. I can’t do my job without those people. I honor them and thank them and respect them and I’m glad they show up to do their jobs. I have to remember I’m not standing here alone and everyone needs to work as a team to get the job done. I’m grateful to be a part of the nursing profession, there are so many people I appreciate who have helped me along the way.

Power Strategies: Compassion, Dignity, Honor
go back to main page

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home